Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Glimmer of Hope

While we still have a LONG way to go, today was a much better day than yesterday. While David had already been trying his best get her to let him hold her, even by taking her for short walks with just the two of them, nothing seemed to be working. We finally decided that maybe if she had to rely on David for short periods of time, that she would come to trust him more quickly. We’re just not sure what the best thing is to do, but that was what we decided to try. So, this morning, before she woke up, I went for a short walk. He was the one she woke up to. He also gave her her first bottle this morning. She didn’t really want to take it at first, but she did! She drank the whole bottle! I called the room to check in about 30 minutes after she woke up to see how things were going. Not only did she take her bottle from him, but she was able to calm herself with just him around. Huge improvement!

We thought since it went so well this morning, that maybe David should be the one to feed her from now on, at least for a few days. Again, she took her bottle before nap from him and fell asleep on him for her nap. We are planning to let him do this again for bedtime tonight. She still prefers me if I’m anywhere in sight, but we feel that the fact that she is allowing him to do this is just a huge breakthrough.

Another great big happy for today was our dinner tonight. Our group met at the White Swan, and it went so much better than we could have hoped for. Not only did she not cry, but she was actually acting playful. She was cooing, which she hasn’t done at all since the day we met her. She was blowing bubbles with her spit. :) A little gross, but a still a beautiful sight!! And, best of all – I really need a drumroll here—She actually ATE some ICE CREAM!! And LIKED it!!

After the day we had yesterday, we really needed this. Of course, we both know that there is still so far to go, but we are just so thankful to see this little piece of her personality shine through. We are still dealing with the issue of me having to carry her everywhere. That’s just a really tough one with no easy answers. Hopefully, as she learns to trust David more and more, she will begin to let him hold her more even with me around. I’m sure it will come with time. I’m really hoping it’s soon. My back hurts. :)

Thank you all so much for all of your prayers and support. You can’t begin to imagine how much it means to us as we read all of your comments knowing you are all pulling for us and praying for us. Thank you!!

I think I LIKE this!

Could I possibly get some MORE?

Blowing Bubbles

We love you, sweet girl!

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thank you, Sophie, for taking that first step with Mommy and Daddy. You're such a brave little girl! We love you!

13 comments:

  1. WOO HOO! So excited to read your good news this morning! We will keep praying for you guys and sweet Sophie! LOVE the ice cream pic! So happy that you guys are seeing some progress! Riley asks about the blog daily, and getting to see and talk to you via SKYPE yesterday at school was THE highlight of her week! She has relived the "virtual visit" at least 5 times since yesterday afternoon! Fingers crossed and praying for a fantastic day for you three!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Chesley, I work with Em, I know yall don't really know me or the other girls at work but we all have had Sophie's first pic Em got up on our cubbies at work and fridge's at home, we have all been praying and talking about little Sophie! We were all so very excited when we found out yall were actually going to be able to go get her! I thought what a wonderful Christmas gift! I am so very happy Sophie had a great day I actually cried tears of happiness for the 3 of yall, as for me having 2 children of my own it's so very hard for me to grasp the concept that so many children don't have the luxuries or happiness of simply eating ice cream which my little one does all day long! Yall are such wonderful people to have done this for not one but two very special little girls, Gracie is adorable and we LOVE when she comes to visit us at work, and to see her interact with Sophie singing Jesus Loves Me melts my heart! Emily is such a wonderful, smart, beautiful girl, she makes us all very proud at her work and to know that she is such a great big sister! She talks about her siblings all the time! She so understands my 3 yr old cause of Gracie, we love sharing stories of their sassieness! lol, I'm sure Gracie will have Sophie right in the swing of things when they get together! Yall will really have your hands full! Yall are in my prayers and look foward to meeting Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a wonderful day!!! It is those glimmers of progress that will get you through the tough times! I hope that Sophie continues to have good days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news. I am so glad the day went better. Praying for more days like today and for them to continue to improve with each day. Tammy, I hope you are getting some rest. I know you are exhausted. Well, David before you start whining, I know you are tired too but I'm talking about Tammy having to carry her a lot. :) Love y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were all so happy to see her beautiful smile today. You have been in our hearts and on our minds constantly. Sophie is a beautiful little girl and so lucky to have you two to love and nurture her. Remember...you will sit around and laugh at this one day and when she is 30 and a mother herself, you can remind her of allll the hoops she made you guys jump through. :-) I hope you feel our love and hugs from so far away. We love you guys.

    PS: no aspiration/biopsy until January 27th. He is doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that you all had a better day yesterday! I can only imagine how difficult all of this is for you and David. Owen was so excited to "see" you yesterday at school. It was the hot topic of conversation at our house last night. He called all of his grandmothers to tell them about it. We look at your blog every morning first thing. We love to see the pictures. Keep them coming. Can't wait for you to get home so that we can meet Sophie. Praying for each day to get better and better. Stay strong!! All our love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pinnows! The Foucault family is following Sophie's journey with great anticipation. All of our prayers and thoughts are with you guys....Demi lit a candle at church just for you guys! Tripp says he is sure Mrs. Pinnow's back will be better by the time she comes back to school. Thanks for all the pics and updates all our love sent your way!
    Jeannine Foucault

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so happy to read your blog post today - SO HAPPY for both of you that Sophie is starting to show some of her personality and happiness (and liked the ice cream!) and letting David hold her/feed her. That is tremendous progress!!
    So happy for Sophie that she is starting to be more comfortable with her new family!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Improvment is so awesome! Hope it continues for you guys.
    bigsistochinagirl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful!!! So happy for you all! :)
    china4ever

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been following you on RQ. What a difference a day makes and what a blessing! Your DD reminds me so much of my DD. right down to being attached to a piece of plastic (my DD chose a spoon). She was totally shut down and rejected me and LOVED my DH. Now 18 months home, she is happy, secure, and a delightful little girl. But it took a lot of time. But so worth it! Everyday we made progress, some more than others. But it will come. She will let you in!

    Blessings to you!
    www.1001tears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for each of you daily! Jon Jon loves seeing the blog each day! Jon Jon is so excited seeing the pictures of Sophie. He keeps asking when you are bringing her home!

    Lynn Lott <><

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is Jennifer (Brunetz) and I have just read all of your updates since you got there. You guys are so strong. I showed Samuel the Gotcha video from 2008 and tried to explain the amazing thing that you guys are doing. He told me a couple of weeks ago that one of their teachers was going to China so I thought I'd let him in on what was really happening here. You will also be happy to hear that Andrew is doing great in Geometry. He got 100+ on the first test. He is a very respectful and attentive student and I am enjoying having him in class. Now, back to Sophie. God bless you both for what you are doing and God be with you and your sweet new baby girl each and every moment! You will become a part of our family nightly prayers tonight. Thanks for taking the time to post these updates and pictures. Well wishes for the 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete